Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Who uses apex.oracle.com?

For those who don't know, Oracle hosts a demonstration version of Oracle Application Express at http://apex.oracle.com. Anyone on the planet can sign up for a workspace, and as long as you don't run a production or commercial Web site, don't do anything illegal and also understand that there is no Service Level Agreement, it's all yours to try out Oracle Application Express. The ultimate goal, though, is for anyone to try Application Express with without having to download, install, or configure anything. All you need is a modern Web browser. And trust me - no one from sales or marketing will call.

In late 2007, I became inspired and installed some Google Analytics JavaScript code in the Login Message and System Message areas of the Application Express instance (you access this from internal administration, Manage Service -> Messages). This tracks access to the Login page and almost all of the pages in Application Builder, SQL Workshop and Utilities. It does not track any information for user-created applications - only the development environment and the general APEX login page. And it's only used for general information and also to satisfy my curiosity.

If you've ever used Google Analytics before, you're already aware of the wealth of information that is recorded. So who uses apex.oracle.com? Looking at the number of visits broken down by country from December 1, 2007 through February 12, 2008:
  • United States - 30%
  • United Kingdom - 10.5%
  • India - 10%
  • Germany - 6%
  • Netherlands - 3%
What I did find most surprising was that Japan was listed as #12, even though I know there has been reasonably good interest in Application Express in Japan, China and Korea since the days of HTML DB 1.5.

The top 25 are here:



I also found interesting the keywords people used on Google to navigate to apex.oracle.com. Four of the top ten are related to Denes Kubicek. Congratulations, Denis!



Please don't confuse these statistics with overall scalability of this instance or Application Express. I'm only presenting the Google Analytics visits. For the past week, on apex.oracle.com, there were:
  • 1,637,781 page views
  • 2,093 distinct applications used in the past week
  • 2,947 distinct users authenticated in the past week
  • 224 new workspaces approved
  • 13,745 total workspaces
It's running on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 2 Dual Core Xeon processors. Average load on the database server hovers around 16%.



Update: In response to Denes' request for the top used applications, I've found the following in descending order of activity in the past week:


PROMED: ProMED-mail Public Site
WORK: OTN EXAMPLES
DKUBICEK: My Demo Application
RTI: OCU_BCK
ASKSTEVEN: AskSteven
EBA: Checklist Manager 1.0
EBA: Online Store 1.0
DBTOOLS: SQL Developer Exchange
OSC: OnScreen
HENRY: Avance Issue Tracker 1.0
ACES: Oracle ACEs
MIKA: MyFirehouse
PALGW: Applicant Tracking System
EBA: Asset Manager 1.0
EMAIL_HELPDESK: Email Helpdesk
JOEL2: Workspace Purge



Granted, I did have to filter some stuff out, because Application Builder and SQL Workshop are always in the top 10. Also, there are some applications for SQL Developer and JDeveloper check-for-updates which are not really relevant to Denes' question.

I think Denes is really trying to rub it in. Note how the Workspace Purge application has generated much activity as people scramble to preserve their seldom-used workspaces.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel,

Thanks for sharing those stats, I think it's very interesting to let people know that APEX can easily support large numbers of page views on relatively 'cheap' commodity hardware.

Now I just need to get more UK people interested in APEX and we can get the UK to #1 ;)

John.

Yet Another Geek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrick Wolf said...

Congratulation to Denes who has beaten me with the #1 search keyword :-)

I also have to work to get more people from Austria to have a look at apex.oracle.com

Patrick

Patrick Wolf said...

Joel,

about Japan. I see that on my blog too. Not many visitors from there compared to other countries. Maybe it's a language barrier, because if you think about the number of people Japan has, statistically it should rank much higher. Maybe I should start a blog in Japanese ;-)

Patrick

Denes Kubicek said...

Hello Joel,

Thanks for posting this interesting information. As I can see, my name is almost a brand ;)

It would be interesting to know the ranking of the top ten most visited applications / workspaces on apex.oracle.com.

Denes Kubicek

Joel R. Kallman said...

Denes,

I updated the posting with the answer to your request. If ProMED Mail had not been recently moved to apex.oracle.com, you'd be #1.

Joel

Carsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carsten said...

Hi Joel,

germany takes the challenge ...

;-)

-Carsten

Paulo Vale said...

Hi joel,
Can you give some more details on the hardware config?
1- RAM;
2- Disk structure (raid, nas, etc);
3- SGA memory parameters

tks

Joel R. Kallman said...

Paulo,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't have much information, but I'll share what I know.

1) As I said before, this is a Dell PE1950 - a relatively small, cheap server.
2) I believe almost all storage is NAS. On what, I couldn't tell you. It plugs into this big framework that Global IT manages. I couldn't even tell you if it's RAID.
3) RAC is not employed. It's a single server.
4) As far as memory, it's "16GB 667MHz (8x2GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs"
5) CPU - 2 x Dual Core XESn Processor 5148LV, 4MB Cache, 2.33GHz 1333MHz FSB
6) It's currently on 10.2.0.3, hopefully soon to be upgraded to 11.1.0.6.
7) SGA_MAX_SIZE is 1536M.

I hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Joel,

I see that Australia is #7.
For such a small country (< 25 Million people) that is an excellent result.

However, I know I can improve that markedly if I just go there for a small tour, say one month.

Please approve my travel request as soon as possible :~)

Thanks Mate
David