Tuesday, November 12, 2019

ā·pěks 10 Years Later



Exactly 10 years ago today, I wrote a succinct blog post with the intent of clarifying how to properly pronounce and abbreviate Oracle APEX.  I decided to use the phonetic spelling, ā'pěks, to avoid all ambiguity with the pronunciation.  Was I successful?

  • I still encounter many people who spell this Apex (and not the correct APEX)
  • I routinely hear people pronounce this as ah·pěks or ap·ěks (and not the correct ā'pěks)

Obviously, we still have a ways to go.  However, this hasn't been a complete loss.  With many thanks to the global APEX community, this simple phonetic spelling has resulted in:
  • stickers
  • hoodies
  • umbrellas
  • 3D-printed keychains
  • cutting boards
  • bottle openers
  • coffee mugs
  • challenge coins
  • T-shirts
  • fan shop
...and more.  And did I say stickers?

What I especially love is that all of this was created by the Oracle APEX community.  Instead of Oracle providing merchandise and branding for Oracle APEX, the community embraced this and ran with it themselves.  This has been wonderfully organic and authentic, and completely community-driven.

Going forward, if you come across someone who misspells or mispronounces Oracle APEX, please feel free to direct them to this blog post.  It is:

Oracle APEX

and it's pronounced ā·pěks.

No comments: